Selling car under contract w/ biweekly payments, buyer refusing to pay, whats the best way to repossess the car?

Brimley, MI |

Long story short, I am selling a car to someone under contract, was sold AS IS, and she was aware of the problems. Contract states that if buyer refuses payment of 100$ biweekly at any point, seller (me) holds a key to be able to repossess the car (and buyer is aware of that). The car is already in her name on the title. I let her miss one payment of 100$ as long as she paid 200$ on the next payment. A week before the 200$ was due, she paid 45 of it, only owning 155$. She has not been able to pay the 155$, and it has already been a week since it was due. Contract was notarized and done by our local tribal court offices, what's the best way to approach cancelling the contract and repossessing the car?

1. The best way is to sue her and when she fails to pay the judgment, get the court to authorize the seizure of the vehicle. If you do it yourself, you may likely face criminal charges. Repossessions can be very tricky. Good Luck!

The comments listed here do not create an attorney-client relationship. The comments are for informational purposes only and are not to be considered legal advice. This attorney is only licensed in Michigan and does not give legal advice in any other state. All comments are to be considered conversational information and you should not rely on these comments as legal advice or in place of retaining an attorney of our own. The comments here are based solely on what you have provided and therefore are general in nature and with more specific facts or details a different answer or outcome could result. The legal system is not a perfect science and this attorney does not guarantee any outcome.