Skip to main content

Seller/Lender of land loan will cancel the note if we make a lump sum paymnt of 1/2 the principal owed. What document is needed?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA |

Do we just need a cancellation/satisfaction/release to be signed by the seller/lender? Or do we need to amend the original loan agreement to reflect the offer?

Attorney Answers 2


You shouldn't have to amend the original note. All you need to do is have the note cancelled and/or get a release from the lender. If a deed of trust was recorded that secures the note, you might want to record the requet for full reconveyance. That should do it.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You don't need to amend the loan agreement. You just need a release and return of the original promissory note. if the loan was secured by a recorded deed of trust, you will need to record a deed of reconveyance.

Mark as helpful

30 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics