Skip to main content

Sell my percentage of the trust

El Cajon, CA |
Filed under: Estate planning Trustee

my brother is the Trustee of my Fahters Trust. My Father passed away 3 years ago. My Brother has let the I'm in charge go to his head; he been jerking me around and lieing to me about the assets of the Trust and I'm sick of him and all the bull. Can I sell my part of my inheritance to a 3rd party? I hope so and than my Brother will have to deal with the third party and I can be done with all of it.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If you believe you can find a willing buyer, go for it. I would be surprised if an individual would be willing to purchase such an interest given the speculative nature of the inheritance.

  2. Yes, you can sell and assign your interest to a third party. If you do in this direction have a local attorney do the agreement and related paperwork.

    Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

  3. I am not licensed in California, but I think a better approach would be to assert your rights, as outlined under the Trust Agreement. You may have a right to receive an Accounting, which will detail all assets, receipts and expenditures. I think that you should consult with an attorney, who is experienced in trust administration, and who can assist you during the administration and termination of this trust.

    Best of luck to you.

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics