Self surrendering on drug charges

Saugus, MA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

After being sentenced to 36 months on drug charges and haven been free on pre trial release do you get taken right into custody ? Or is it possible the judge will let you self surrender to your designated prison? I have heard yes and no.

I practice in a different Commonwealth (PA), so we'll both have to defer to responses from learned MA counsel on this question. In my experience Judges are willing to exercise some discretion in this area when presented with a pretty strong reason for deferring commencement of the sentence. The willingness, though is normally appears only with sentences to the local/county jail (sentences under 2 years) A sentence of 3 years would be a state sentence here to be served in a state correctional institution and would less likely find a judge being flexible. Usual procedure for a defendant in such a situation is to be taken into custody by the Sheriff housed in the County until the next bus to our state system's classification center. What has your attorney told you?

You make no sense.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

DO you have an attorney? If so set up a conference asap. If not, consider finding one. Anything is possible, but on these facts alone it is tough to tell. More details welcome.