Self deportation What to do when an illegal immigrant (overstayed his visa) wants to go back home? are they gonna arrest him?

Asked 9 months ago - Sacramento, CA

My friend is an illegal immigrant from Romania, he wants to go back home.
-no criminal record
-overstayed visa 2/3 years.
He wants to know what will happen at the airport, will he get into trouble, are they going to arrest him?

Thank you.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No. Buy ticket and leave.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. Lynne Rogers Feldman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is best to talk to an immigration attorney before he leaves so he knows the consequences of this decision and perhaps to arrange a voluntary departure.

  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If he has never been before an immigration judge, nor arrested by ICE, it is not self-deportation.

    Talk to a lawyer.

    Most likely he can just buy a plane ticket and go home .... being aware of the fact that he can't come back for at-least 10 years ... without special permission.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,604 answers this week

2,975 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,604 answers this week

2,975 attorneys answering