Skip to main content

Selective Reduction - Wrong baby dies.

Red Lion, PA |

My wife was pregnant with triplets. We had Mono-Mono twins in the same sac and a girl in her own sac. One of the boy twins had a malformation. We wanted to reduced the risk of the whole pregnancy and hopefully give increased odds to one of the boys. The doctor performed a selective reduction only later we found out that the wrong baby had been terminated. Fast forward a few weeks and the entire pregnancy was complicated by the original surgery forcing the only option of a termination of the pregnancy and delivering the babies early 22 weeks. We're now buried in debt and have nothing. My wife is devastated. Do we have a case?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Your story is tragic, and you have my condolences.

Now may not feel like the best time, but you certainly do have a case, and I STRONGLY suggest that you get in touch with a local attorney to discuss how to proceed next. If the debt you referenced is hospital debt, it should self-evidently be cleared—YOU should not be paying for THEIR error. You may be entitled to more. As you continue to grieve, please find a lawyer to help your future selves deal with the financial repercussions of what has happened.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

John Edwin Daniel Larkin

John Edwin Daniel Larkin


Thanks for marking my answer as helpful. When the time feels right, I'm sure that my firm would be interested in speaking with you, if you decide to move forward.


Most likely. Consult with a local medical malpractice attorney.


You need to have the matter reviewed by a local medical malpractice attorney.


From what you posted, it appears that you would likely have a medical malpractice claim against the physician and potentially other individuals or entities, as well.

Our office routinely handles complex medical malpractice cases in Pennsylvania, including York County, and I would be more than willing to speak with you on the telephone in more detail about your situation. Please feel free to contact me directly at 610-565-3700 or via email at

Michael J. Davey, Esq.
Eckell Sparks Law Firm


I would need to order the medical records, but I worked on a similar case.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer