Skip to main content

Seeking criminal defense attorney to take pro bono case sex charges thank you pls help

West Palm Beach, FL |

He has already been assigned a public defender and Im afraid because of the lack of funds in the public defenders office he will not have a fair trial or a good defense in his case.His public defender although may be in good standings with the bar association i know that she has alot of cases to handle so she says. We our only human and i could only imagine how difficult it is for any attorney to properly defend 1 client and much more 50 at one time .my husband was charged with lewd lac.and sexual activities with a child. Im a mother of 9 kids and he is the back bone of our family and he is currently out of jail and on house arrest and not able to work .i do work but im on a fixed income im not asking for anything free cuz a worker is worthy of his or her pay .i can pay $1000,00 per mth.

Im just having a problem coming up with a retainer or deposit thank you and god bless you for your attention on this matter

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Dear Madam:

My name is Joseph Vredevelt and I am a criminal defense attorney located in Miami. I understand your concerns with your husband's current public defender. Many public defenders are overworked and underpaid, leaving the feeling of uneasiness for the clients. Being a private defense attorney you would be given the attention needed, however, such a case could not be taken pro bono, a retainer would be needed. I do accept payment plans and we could discuss the facts of the case and possible defenses. You can contact me any time free of charge. 305.284.8000 (office) 616.516.2408 (cell) (email) I hope to speak with you soon. All My Best, Joseph Vredevelt, Esq.


The public defender is paid to represent people who can't afford lawyers. Why do you think someone else would do a better job for free?

One of America's most famous lawyers, President Abraham Lincoln, said "A lawyer's time and advice are his stock in trade." Like doctors, plumbers and mechanics, lawyers have nothing to sell but their time and experience, so most can't afford to give much of it away. Those who do provide some pro bono service usually do it through organized programs, not to random people who just call on the phone.

Please understand that this is a general discussion of legal principles by a California lawyer and does not create an attorney/client relationship. It's impossible to give detailed, accurate advice based on a few sentences on a website (and you shouldn't provide too much specific information about your legal matter on a public forum like Avvo, anyway). You should always seek advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who can give you an informed opinion after reviewing all of the relevant information.


I am an attorney that handles sexual misconduct matters and have faced many cases like your husbands. The fact that you are price shopping an attorney on a case like this shows me that you are clearly underestimating the chaos and the seriousness of this type of charge. Sex crimes between adult men and children are of the most dangerous to handle without proper legal counsel. First, the public and the judicial perspective of a crime of this nature is one of disgust. In fact, there are many lawyers that will not represent a person charged with such a crime. Those of us that do handle this type of case tend to be very expensive and very serious about our work. A case like this will require an aggressive defense that may seek to discredit a child/victim that has made allegations about the defendant. That type of work takes a special attitude and level of professionalism. It is not uncommon for a defendant in a case like this to pay over $50,000.00 for a defense. Frankly that is on the low end of the right type of legal effort. Think about it; is there a minimum mandatory sentence? Is a judge going to be severe on a guilty finding? What happens after sentencing? Will the defendant survive in jail when known violent criminals attack people in jail that have committed sex crimes against children? Then if he survives years in jail there are the post incarceration matters of registering as a sex offender for life. That said~ I'm happy to talk with you about your case and if you find that you have a different perspective I can file a motion to represent your husband and we can work out the payment plan, or I can connect you with another attorney that I feel will be a good attorney for this type of case. My office is in Boston but that is not an issue. I will travel to Florida for this type of case. Joseph Chancellor (617) 725-2675

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer