Seeking criminal defense attorney in ceres, CA area that takes pro bono cases

Asked about 6 years ago - Ceres, CA

Does anyone know of a criminal defense attorney that ever takes pro bono cases?

1. Mark Joseph Sullivan

4

6

Answered . Many do, including the lawyers at my firm. But you must remember that every defendant in a criminal case has the right to a lawyer free of charge as long as they cannot afford one. usually, this is the public defender, who is a full fledged attorney, who hs one to law school and passed the bar exam just as every other lawyer in the courtroom has. The quality of representation of public defenders varies every bit as much as the quality of representation by private practitioners. The problem is that it's hit or miss with public defenders, because you may get a different one each time you appear in court on the same case.

But one must remember that lawyers who do pro bono work still have to make a living, and must earn enough from their paying clientsto be able to afford the luxury of representing someone for nothing, just because they have a unique case or they have been victimized by other lawyers.

2. John M. Kaman

Pro

1

8

Answered . What is the nature of your case? E-mail me at johnkaman@kamanlaw.com.

3. Alec Scott Rose

3

9

Answered . It is not a wise idea to look for a private criminal defense lawyer if you cannot afford one. If you cannot afford counsel, the court has an obligation to appoint a lawyer to represent you and to pay for that lawyer's services.

4. Ryan Patrick McClure

2

6

Answered . Try the public defender. Good Luck!

5. Anthony P Ruffini

2

4

Answered . The website for the State Judiciary in your state should have the contact for the local bar association. In many states, such as New Jersey, lawyers are required to do pro bono. I practice in New York and I do a few pro bono cases a year.

6. Kimberly Keheley Frye

Pro

2

6

Answered . Please check in your local jurisdiction for indigent defense counsel. The court you are dealing with may have the number for you. We have appointed circuit defenders in our county who do a very good job for their clients. It is important to have counsel Set this as a priority in your budget. If you don't pay your phone bill you lose your phone, your freedom is much more valuable than any utility. An attorney protects your interests. Try not to go it alone.
    Hope that helps you find a lawyer.