Seeking a pro bono lawyer for representation in a federal case.

Staten Island, NY |

In 2011 I was charged with the same crime (fraud) at state level 2 years ago. The case was dismissed. Recently was arrested because the Federal Government reopened the case.

1. I doubt you will find a pro bono lawyer because so much time and effort goes into defending a federal criminal case. If you are indigent the court will assign you a public defender.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. Due to the cost of defending a federal criminal case, it is unlikely you will find an attorney willing to take your case pro bono. I recommend speaking to the federal defender program in your area if you cannot afford an attorney.

3. EDNY Federal Defenders - Check out the link below. Take Care!

4. I occasionally take cases pro bono but only if it seems that a grave injustice has been committed. I'm sure many other lawyers feel the same way. Feel free to contact me for a free consultation, and I can see if I can take your case pro bono - no guarantees, and again, you'd have to convince me that a grave injustice has been committed.

Atty: 845-704-7777. This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship. PLEASE REMEMBER: All claims and legal matters have statutes of limitations and/or other important time periods that apply to them. This means that you must take action on all claims or legal matters within the required time period(s) or your claims could be barred by the statute of limitations or dismissed. Contact our office or another competent attorney immediately to discuss the particular facts of any claim or legal issue you might have in order to learn what time periods apply to your particular situation.

Pro bono representation topics