Skip to main content

Seeking a divorce. what is the first step?

Bethlehem, NH |
Filed under: Divorce

own a house with a mortgage, one minor child age 13. other real estate as well. wife hasen't worked for several years. says she won't seek professional help for mental or physical disabilities.

married for 24 years. can't afford a lawyer. we can't agree on anything.

Attorney Answers 2


Your first step is to file a petition for divorce, however I must advise that with a long marriage, marital property and minor children, you really should seek a divorce attorney. I know that finances are tough for you, but there are many attorneys who will work out a payment plan. The process can get complicated, especially if you and your wife don't agree. You both must take a mandatory parenting class. The forms required can be found here ( Again, I strongly suggest that you obtain an attorney. Good Luck to you.

Kati M. Amarantes

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Check out the NH Bar Association's pro bono and low income referral programs here:

I'd also be happy to offer a free consultation. 603-223-6613.

This is an advertisement for legal services. No commentary on this website is intended to be legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by using this site. Readers are encouraged to call Attorney Buck for a consultation or seek a referral to an attorney by contacting the NH Bar Association at Attorney Buck is online at

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics