Second demand letter from walmart

Baltimore, MD |

if i pay a demand letter from walmart in md for shoplifting will i have a criminal record?

In short, no. A payment in response to a demand letter is a civil, rather than criminal matter. Moreover, pursuant to Maryland law, the payment of the civil penalty cannot be introduced into evidence in a criminal case as an admission. Regardless, you can still be charged criminally and prosecuted. Whether you have a "record" as a result of the criminal prosecution, should it occur, will be based on the particular facts and circumstances of your case, your background, etc.

Mr. Eidelberg is licensed to practice law in Maryland and the District of Columbia. The response herein is not legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship, is for educational purposes, and intended to impart general information about the subject inquiry. Consultation with a qualified attorney in the state from which the inquiry is generated is strongly recommended so that case specific legal guidance can be obtained.

There still guarantee that you won't, because Walmart and the prosecutors office are two separate and independent entities. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.

Payment may satisfy your civil liability to WalMart. But if WalMart submits the incident to the police, and you are charged with theft, the payment can be used as evidence against you at your subsequent criminal trial.