Skip to main content

Second degree misdemeanor will affect the prospects of my Green card??

Columbus, OH |

Few months ago I met with an accident in florida. Cop gave me two citation for 1. improper backing and 2.hit and run unattended vehicle.

I have engaged an attorney.Still case is going on. My attorney requested for the dismissal of the case. Other side my husband and I are planning to apply for the green card(EB 2 category). I
am his dependent.

I am worried, if my case doesn't get dismissed then How this second degree misdemeanor will affect the prospects of my Green card?


Attorney Answers 4

  1. You should consult with a OH immigration attorney - many do not charge for an initial consultation. Good luck

    This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

  2. This isn't a question a criminal defense attorney can answer. An immigration attorney is best suited to answer your question.

    Amanda Ackerman Condon
    Piscitelli Law Firm
    Cleveland, Ohio 44143

    This response is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This response should not be relied upon. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer.

  3. I agree with my colleague that you should consult an experienced immigration attorney. This is especially true before you enter any plea arrangement. The impact this criminal matter will have on your green card application will depend upon the final outcome of the case. It will hinge on what you crime you are convicted of, sentence imposed, admissions you made, etc.

  4. The immigration consequences of convictions depend on the exact language of the statute under which the conviction took place.

    You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, including the court disposition and the charging documents, in order to advise you, and handle the case.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics