Sealing juvenile record taking almost a year?

It has almost been a year since my attorney filed a petition to seal my records. I called the court many times and they said that my petition is still being processed. They say the process usually takes up to a year. I then called my lawyer to see if he knows what is causing the delay. He said it's most likely because the court is behind in their work. He also said that the court sent a supervisor/clerk out to retrieve the archives recently and the court should receive my file within the next few weeks or so. Next month will be a year since my attorney filed the petition. Does anyone know when I should expect a letter or a notice from the court? I am worried about the process. This is in Los Angeles County.

It sounds like your attorney is on top of the situation. Given the courts budget and layoffs this does not surprise me.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at

I agree with Mr. Driessen. We really can't second-guess the advice your attorney is giving you. We don't have enough information. You're way ahead of the game, however; few people ever make the effort to have the records sealed.

In terms of the California budget, the courts are not a top priority so recently there have been many layoffs and consolidation of court houses. Processing and cases are taking longer. Please be patient. It appears the court and your attorney are on top of the situation. I wish you the best.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

Juvenile law topics

Recommended articles about Juvenile law