SCREWED BY 3 LAWYERS!

Asked over 1 year ago - Boca Raton, FL

I now have a phobia. Can I get a letter from a doctor to allow me to appear pro se(at civil co. collection)

1. Barry A. Stein

Pro

1

Answered . If you are an individual in the lawsuit you can represent yourself without a doctor's note. If you are a corporation or other entity, you may be required to have an attorney. I have never heard of a doctor's note being used to allow a corporation to appear on their own, as the entity only has legal existence pursuant to statute.

2. Mark Theodore Tischhauser

Pro

1

Answered . There is an old saying "screw me once shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me" If you have 3 separate lawyers "screw you" then the first thing to examine is how you are selecting lawyers. I learned a loooong time ago that the primary cause for unhappy clients the feel they got screwed, is #1 money issues and and #2 unrealistic or unrealized expectations. By example, I have spoken with former clients of other lawyers that are upset "because the lawyer didnt do anything" , only to find that the issue was a dispute over paying the lawyer for the work and often poor communication between the parties added into the mix. In a similar vein, unrealistic expectations are often a conlfict point, again because of poor communication between lawyer and client. By example I interviewed a client some years ago, that was livid that his lawyer hadn't followed through with taking his case to trial, and "took his money" for nothing. After a brief investigation, it was revealed that for the $750.00 retainer, the lawyer actually filed a lawsuit, of whcih 500.00 was paid for filing fees and service, and several motions filed ta boot, a very very cheap price for the work done. The problem was, that the defendant then filed bankruptcy (hence the several motions) which imposed a "stay" on the case, and the lawyers letters to the client had been returned because the client moved and forgot to give laywer new address.

All this stated, the answer is if you are individual, you can appear "pro se" representing yourself any time you choose. HOwever, remember the old adage that "a lawyer that represents himself has a fool for a client"

3. Ian Edmund Scott

Answered . Perhaps search for a lawyer you can trust. Pro se representation is difficult.