Schedule 11 - What does it mean?

Grants Pass, OR |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I called the sheriff and they said that the jail is only taking schedule 11 felony prisoners... what does that mean?

1. This refers to the Oregon sentencing guidelines. Oregon has a grid for determining criminal sentences, based upon the severity of the crime on one axis, and the criminal history of the defendant on the other. Schedule 11 offenses are the most serious crimes.

It seems rather strange to me that a jail would say that they 'take' only such prisoners. In general, a jail holds either suspects who have been arrested and accused of a crime, but not yet convicted; or inmates convicted of a non-felony crime, serving a term of less than a year. For most schedule 11 offenses, I would imagine that the sentence would be greater than a year, requiring incarceration in a prison.

But then, it also seem rather strange that you would call a jail to ask about this. There's obviously more going on here than is stated, which is fine (you shouldn't post personally identifying information here). I hope this helps.

Nothing posted on this site is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: jay@northwestlawoffice.com | Online: www.northwestlawoffice.com