Satisfaction of judgement and credit bureaus

Asked over 3 years ago - Sturgis, MI

holding satisfaction signed by attorney. Went to courthouse and got a copy with a raised seal. no problem with the DMV, but it shows as unpaid by all 3 credit reporting agencies

1. Michael John Primus

Pro

Answered . You should start by asking the lawyer who signed the satisfaction to notify the credit reporting agencies. Likely the lawyer will not want to bother but that's the first thing to try. If that does not work you will need to dispute the derogatory mark on your report in writing with each credit reporitng agency. There are many books on the Fair Credit Reporting Act and this is not too hard, should not need a lawyer.

2. Mark Hankins

Answered . You need to know whether and where the judgment was recorded, and you need to go to those places and pay the fee to record the satisfaction in each and every such place. That will help assure that the satisfaction is picked up by Lexis/Nexis and hence by the big 3 CRAs. Chances are you need only visit the clerk recorder in your own county.

3. Jeffrey B. Lampert

Pro

Answered . This is a common situation.

The credit reporting agencies acquire information from the public records. Final Judgments are notated automatically. The Plaintiff's attorney does not do ANYTHING; the credit bureaus are the one obtaining the information.

When it comes to satisfactions of judgments, it is another story. The credit bureaus DO NOTHING.

I can not begin t tell you how many times I would get a hostile phone call from a former judgment debtor, upset because they had paid the judgment in full but now the bank is holding up a loan because the Satisfaction does not appear in the credit report. I would race to the Courthouse--this is pre-Internet--to review the public records, in panic for fear that I had violated the 30-day requirements of Florida law and had slandered the judgment debtor. Now, with computers, I have the book and page number where the Satisfaction is recorded at my fingertips.

There is a different concern. Judgments remain on credit reports, whether the judgments are paid or not. That is because the fact that a creditor had to go all the way to the point of bringing suit and getting a judgment is a credit note-worthy event. So, even if the judgment is paid, from the Fair Credit Reporting Act and credit bureau point of view, the fact that the judgment has been satisfied is not a credit report worthy point of view.
    Getting back to your problem,