Sat the officer wants me to "turn myself in" and told me I can just come with $100 cash and pay bail myself. FTA traffic

Asked over 3 years ago - Wilmington, NC

so do I trust that the officer is not trying to entrap me via telling me to meet him tomorrow morning(Saturday) and have my bail of $100 in cash to pay? this is a FTA for driving without registration(drove car home after purcahse on a weekend and got pulled) dealt with the registration the following monday after the sunday ticket..lost ticket and thought I would get a notice in mail...not a bench warrant.

Will they do as he said and let me go once I pay on the spot...he also said they will issue a new court date.

he came to my house and left a note on his card to "call him" and I did.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Marcus Wayne Conner Jr

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . First off, you should hire an attorney in your area to assist you with this matter. An attorney may be able to meet with an assistant district attorney to strike the FTA. An attorney in your area will also know the local DAs and how best to proceed with this matter. If you merely turn yourself in and pay the $100.00, the FTA will still be present and when you resolve your matter, they are going to charge you up to $200.00 for the FTA fee. That is of course assuming that is not resolved by a dismissal or not guilty. If the FTA stands for too long, DMV will notify you that your license will be suspend, so it is best to resolve that matter as soon as possible. Merely turning yourself in will not strike the FTA. They will re-calendar your court date and you can explain to a judge why you failed to appear in hopes that he will strike it then and waive the fee. However, it is much easier (and usually with a higher success rate) to have an attorney do all this for you. You should contact one immediately before they arrest you for the FTA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,136 answers this week

2,882 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,136 answers this week

2,882 attorneys answering