Santander repo'd my husbands car which was completely in his name. The debt is 2 years delenquent. Can they repo our house?

Asked over 2 years ago - Hardy, KY

The house is in my name. I live in Kentucky. The car was not in my name nor was my name on any Santander documents.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . When a creditor obtains a court judgment, they can only obtain the judgment in the name of the person that signed the contract. Based on what you have said, that would only be your husband.

    Then the creditor needs to go looking for assets to take to pay the judgment. They have to find an asset in the name of the person that is the same as their judgment, and cannot add on a spouse's name, a parent's name, etc. As to real estate, they can record their judgment creating a lien against any real estate the person named in the judgment owns.

    Finally, each state has laws that protect the home from creditors, called a homestead exemption, and I am posting a link to a description of these laws for all 50 states.

    Hope this perspective helps!

Related Topics


There are different types of debt, but all involve one person (the debtor) owing money to another (the creditor). Terms of repayment are governed by a contract.

Property repossession

Property repossession can happen if you are behind in your payments. Creditors are not required to send notice before they repossess your property or vehicle.

Robert Franklin Dean

Vehicle Repossessions in Maryland

Car dealers and other merchants dealing in very valuable goods who allow customers to finance their purchases usually keep a security interest in the goods they sell. If the purchaser... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,498 answers this week

3,402 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,498 answers this week

3,402 attorneys answering