Same sex divorce?

so we both live in nj but we got married in ny, we dont know what to do to get a divorce becouse they told us that one of us has to live in the city (ny) for at least 2 years but thats not possible for neather of us .help? what to do

Elmwood Park, NJ -

Find Out More

Attorney Answers (3)

Jeffrey Alan Kerstetter

Jeffrey Alan Kerstetter

Child Custody Lawyer - Mount Ephraim, NJ

Agreeing with the previous post, if you have been domiciled in NJ for one year (at least one of you) then you should be able to file for divorce in New Jersey. If the two of you are in agreement on all issues and are mutually choosing to divorce, it can be a fairly simple affair.

Anthony J Van Zwaren

Anthony J Van Zwaren

Child Abuse Lawyer - Clifton, NJ

As pointed out, NJ would seem to be the place to file in as what you should look at. If you lived in NJ for one year or more before filing you can file in NJ, and the process is generally far more simple than in NY.

DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you... more
J. Richard Kulerski

J. Richard Kulerski

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Oak Brook, IL

.The proper state to file for divorce is the state of residency, not the state where the marriage took place.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.