Same sex civil union in vermont we both live in florida, from 1st july what do we need to do dissolve it

Tallahassee, FL |

split 5 years ago. all property and financial matters legally sorted out at that time. Ex partner had a child a couple of years after we split. This is completely outside of our situation and has no bearing on our situation.
from 1st of July as we do not need to fulfill a residency requirement what do I/we need to do to dissolve this partnership.

Florida does not recognize your union. There's no same sex divorce in Florida. You may want to ask this question of Vermont lawyers.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me at 954-567-4100. Also, if you liked this answer did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button

I'm not sure I understand your question. Florida, as I'm sure you know, does not recognize civil unions in the same sense that Vermont once did before gay marriage became legal there. In fact, outside of a few cities in a Florida, domestic partnership is not legal here, so no formal action for dissolution of domestic partnership exists in Florida courts, though I suppose one could be filed in those counties where the cities have enacted domestic partnership laws (Hillsborough, Dade, and Broward, to my knowledge). You don't appear to be seeking timeshare with the child, which Florida recognizes amongst same-sex couples in certain circumstances, and your property has been split, so what would you like to accomplish?

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

Marian Audrey Lindquist

Marian Audrey Lindquist

In Broward you can dissolve a domestic partnership by recording an affidavit, which is the same way you create it.

Hi, from July 1st Vermont will enact a law enabling non residents to dissolve same sex union that was entered into in Vermont. i.e. if you don't live in Vermont you can now undo the civil union without a residency requirement. My question was what from the 1st needs to be done to dissolve the union. I am guessing that a Vermont lawyer is going to have to answer? Concerning the child, the other party took the decision to have a child after the relationship ended. The child is hers and I am not in any way connected to him, legally, morally, spiritually, nothing. Basically I want to legally undo what is no longer valid on a personal level.

Brent Allan Rose

Brent Allan Rose

Sounds like you already have your answer, but you're right, it would be good to chat with a Vermont lawyer.

OK thank you for responding. Will try and track down a Family Law attorney in Vermont. Many thanks for taking the time out to respond. Much appreciated.