S - 160 Non immigrant visa application question .

Asked over 1 year ago - Sarasota, FL

Back in 1997 my sister applied for Tourist Visa ( 1 ) and was refused it during the interview . The reason wasn't explained to her . All she got from the officer was a list of possible reasons for which a visitor visa could be denied . She is applying for the same visa type again and she has to answer " YES " to the following question : " Have you ever been refused a U . S . visa , been refused admission to the United states , or withdrawn your application for admission at the port of entry ? " Please suggest how to explain this situation in the application ( they ask to explain in the box when answering " Yes " ) if the reason for visa refusal / denial is unknown . Thank you .

1. Karla Rosalinda Prieto

3

Answered . It is very important to answer the question truthfully. If she was not give the exact reason for denial or she does not recall, then that is all she should answer. I suggest that she is prepared to show documentation that proves her intent to return to her home country after a visit (employment statements, letter from employer, proof of property ownership, etc.). Best of luck!

2. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

2

Answered . Tell the truth, including that there was no explanation for the denial other than the generic list.

3. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.