S - 160 Non immigrant visa application question .

Sarasota, FL |

Back in 1997 my sister applied for Tourist Visa ( 1 ) and was refused it during the interview . The reason wasn't explained to her . All she got from the officer was a list of possible reasons for which a visitor visa could be denied . She is applying for the same visa type again and she has to answer " YES " to the following question : " Have you ever been refused a U . S . visa , been refused admission to the United states , or withdrawn your application for admission at the port of entry ? " Please suggest how to explain this situation in the application ( they ask to explain in the box when answering " Yes " ) if the reason for visa refusal / denial is unknown . Thank you .

1. It is very important to answer the question truthfully. If she was not give the exact reason for denial or she does not recall, then that is all she should answer. I suggest that she is prepared to show documentation that proves her intent to return to her home country after a visit (employment statements, letter from employer, proof of property ownership, etc.). Best of luck!

The answer offered here is purely informational and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer is not to be construed as legal advice.

2. Tell the truth, including that there was no explanation for the denial other than the generic list.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

3. I agree with my colleagues.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.