Skip to main content

Russian girl married a US citizen , who is trying to keep her isolated

Candler, NC |

Her husband wants to keep her from working or having a car. He watches her all the time since his first wife left him. She is afraid. How will her status change if she leaves him and seeks a divorce? Will she be deported back to Russia.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. She may be able to apply for a visa under the violence against women act if he is physically or mentally abusive. If not, then if she divorces him she would have to establish that the marriage was in good faith. Consult an immigration attorney

  2. She should consult with an attorney. She may be able to get immigration status even if she divorces him. if she is unable to make that contact (because he does not allow it) you can make the contact.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

  3. possibility of physical harm or violence she should leave the situation immediately and seek shelter. At the earliest time possible she should confer with an immigration attorney to discuss her possibilities for alternate means of securing residence in United States.


  4. speak to an experienced attorney - there may or may not be a claim under VAWA, more details would be required

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

  5. She should seek help and get out of a situation where she feels threatened, controlled, and abused. She may qualify for a VAWA petition. She should find a way to get away, perhaps seek a women's shelter, and find an attorney who can help her with her status. Please remind her that she should take copies of any and all evidence that they live together (lease agreements, bank statements, marriage certificate, his US birth certificate, drivers license, etc.) She should also perhaps go to Psigah Legal Services, non-for-profit center, in Asheville. Perhaps they can help her there.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics