Runaway minor into a kidnapping?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

My 17 year old ran away with her 19 year old boyfriend. She came home 5 days later. He later sent a message on Facebook to my son, daughters older brother, that he "Took" her. Can this be taken as a kidnapping because he said '"Took" instead of say "she CAME with"?

1. William Antoine Hannosh

Answered . Hi. The only way to find out is to discuss it with your local law enforcement. If they are going to be slow in helping, then there is nothing you can do on that end. However, a kidnapping is going to be extremely difficult to show or prove, simply because your daughter went with him as a willing traveler. If your daughter is in a relationship with the 19-year-old, and insists on hanging around him and not doing anything to distance herself from him, then you want to be absolutely sure about her intent and mindset before you go and pay an attorney two to three thousand dollars on a restraining order that the Court will simply deny based on unenforceability. I just did a case exactly like this one (except it was two lesbian partners - one age 19, the other age 16) and my judge just threw out the mother's restraining order request based on unenforceability. As far as reporting a "kidnapping", to be honest, you have scant pickings in the way of evidence. I have not spoken with or interviewed your daughter, but if she wants to stay with him then this will be one of those issues the law simply cannot address.