Rule 69 hearing, Depositions, Post Judgment = Small Claims Court

Asked over 2 years ago - Denver, CO

I need to collect on a small claims judgment. It's $6,000
The Debtor did not show up for contempt citation hearing and has bench warrant issued on him, which is not what I need, since still can't get paid.
The question is - can I now set Rule 69 hearing - does this rule apply to civil and small claims courts or is it just for District courts?
Or should I have the Clerk of Court issue a Subpoena for Deposition in aid of Execution
and conduct depositions of third parties who are in financial relationship with the Debtor
All this to collect on a judgment.

Please advise if possible at all

1. Richard Franklin Taub

Pro

Answered . The good news with respect to the contempt citaation and bench warrant is that, usually, the court will set the bond amount for the warrant at the amount due. So, when the defendant is caught and taken into custody, he or she will need to post that amount due you for his bond. Assuming it happens that way, you would pretty much just need to file an appropriate motion asking the court to release that amount of money to you. Then, upon receiving it (and the funds clearing), you would provide the defendant a satisfaction of judgment for he or she to record it on the public records.

2. William James Rogers

Answered . Collecting on a judgment is complex. First you need to make sure that the judgment has been perfected as a lien, usually by recording it with the county clerk. Then you need to get information about the debtor's assets, including bank accounts and valuable property. This may be done by deposition, but may be more simply and cheaply done if you serve post-judgment written discovery. Once you have that information, you may seek permission from the court, usually in the form of an order for execution, to have bank accounts and/or wages garnished, or to have property seized and sold by the sheriff. Your county sheriff probably has information about how to proceed once you have an order for execution.

You will need to check on Colorado procedures for each of these steps. Start at the nearest law library, maintained by the court, the county, or a law school.