Skip to main content

Rule 609

Chandler, AZ |

Why would the state ask for a Rule 609 hearing and what is it

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If this is the rule you are talking about. Then such a hearing is to determine whether or not a witness can be impeached with certain types of evidence/questions.

The hearing is done outside the presence of the jury to avoid prejudicing/tainting the jury. This is a common practice and procedure in most states and federal courts.;; 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.


My colleague is correct, 609 handles impeachment of a witness by evidence of a criminal conviction, sets out the rules for how an attorney can do it, and the hearing would have to be out of the presence of a jury (before trial likely) so that the lawyers can figure how and whether to run their case depending on whether the evidence gets in.

Anyone viewing this web site should not act on any information contained on this site without seeking professional counsel from an attorney. Use of this web site and/or transmission of information to the firm is not intended to create, and should not be construed as creating, an attorney-client relationship with the firm or any of its attorneys. If you choose to communicate with the firm or any of its attorneys or other personnel through this web site, do not transmit any confidential or sensitive information by e-mail until you have spoken to an attorney from our firm either by telephone or in person. This web site may be considered advertising under applicable laws and ethical rules. The Law Offices of Brent D. Harris, PLLC do not seek to represent anyone in any state where lawyers in the firm are not admitted to practice, or in any state where this web site fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer