Roommate left in the middle of 1 yr lease , I cant afford it alone and need to move .

Asked almost 2 years ago - Cherry Hill, NJ

We got the place supposed for Aug 2012 - Aug 2013 . Were both on the lease but He left Mid January , I am stuck paying 1350 a month , my girlfriend is helping me pay ( whews not on the lease ) . I cant afford it and need to move . Is there anything i can do to leave where I wont be sued for the reminding money ? And if i am sued can i sue him for leaving ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael T Millar


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Gutman. You should likely look for a replacement tenant to take your place.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more
  2. Robert L Gutman

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You have six months left on your lease and would suggest working something out with the landlord. Otherwise, if you do break the lease, you and your former roommate can and will be held responsible for the balance of the lease. However, the landlord does have a duty to mitigate his/her damages by attempting to re-let the premises. You will be responsible for the rent as it becomes due and the space is not rented. You may also be responsible for the landlord's cost to re-let including realtor commissions and work on the space. Should you have any questions or require assistance, I would suggest you contact an attorney. Good luck.

    The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact... more
  3. Steven Todd Keppler

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Gutman, but I do stress one of his points: your former roommate is liable to you for his unpaid portion and you can attempt to collect against him in small claims court if you wish.

    The foregoing is not legal advice, and nothing in the foregoing shall be deemed to create an attorney client... more

Related Topics

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Breaking a lease agreement

Breaking a lease is considered a breach of contract, and you may have to pay a penalty to do so, unless the law prohibits penalties for your specific situation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,485 answers this week

3,007 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,485 answers this week

3,007 attorneys answering