Roommate left in the middle of 1 yr lease , I cant afford it alone and need to move .

Cherry Hill, NJ |

We got the place supposed for Aug 2012 - Aug 2013 . Were both on the lease but He left Mid January , I am stuck paying 1350 a month , my girlfriend is helping me pay ( whews not on the lease ) . I cant afford it and need to move . Is there anything i can do to leave where I wont be sued for the reminding money ? And if i am sued can i sue him for leaving ?

1. You have six months left on your lease and would suggest working something out with the landlord. Otherwise, if you do break the lease, you and your former roommate can and will be held responsible for the balance of the lease. However, the landlord does have a duty to mitigate his/her damages by attempting to re-let the premises. You will be responsible for the rent as it becomes due and the space is not rented. You may also be responsible for the landlord's cost to re-let including realtor commissions and work on the space. Should you have any questions or require assistance, I would suggest you contact an attorney. Good luck.

The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact an attorney in your area for more specific answers. Responding to your question in no way creates an attorney/client relationship, and none of the specific guarantees of privacy exist. If you have found this information helpful, kindly check the "helpful" box. NOT LEGAL ADVICE: The above information may contain an opinion which does not constitute legal advice. Unless a retainer agreement has been signed, we are not your legal representatives, and you should not rely on any opinions contained in this message.

2. I agree with Mr. Gutman. You should likely look for a replacement tenant to take your place.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

3. I agree with Mr. Gutman, but I do stress one of his points: your former roommate is liable to you for his unpaid portion and you can attempt to collect against him in small claims court if you wish.

The foregoing is not legal advice, and nothing in the foregoing shall be deemed to create an attorney client relationship. If you feel you need to speak with an attorney regarding your issue, it is recommended that you contact an attorney with expertise in your area of inquiry. The information related above is purely for informational purposes, and should not be acted upon without speaking with qualified counsel familiar with you specific situation and the laws related thereto.