Roommate left in the middle of 1 yr lease , I cant afford it alone and need to move .

Asked almost 2 years ago - Cherry Hill, NJ

We got the place supposed for Aug 2012 - Aug 2013 . Were both on the lease but He left Mid January , I am stuck paying 1350 a month , my girlfriend is helping me pay ( whews not on the lease ) . I cant afford it and need to move . Is there anything i can do to leave where I wont be sued for the reminding money ? And if i am sued can i sue him for leaving ?

1. Michael T Millar

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with Mr. Gutman. You should likely look for a replacement tenant to take your place.

2. Robert L Gutman

1

Answered . You have six months left on your lease and would suggest working something out with the landlord. Otherwise, if you do break the lease, you and your former roommate can and will be held responsible for the balance of the lease. However, the landlord does have a duty to mitigate his/her damages by attempting to re-let the premises. You will be responsible for the rent as it becomes due and the space is not rented. You may also be responsible for the landlord's cost to re-let including realtor commissions and work on the space. Should you have any questions or require assistance, I would suggest you contact an attorney. Good luck.

3. Steven Todd Keppler

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Gutman, but I do stress one of his points: your former roommate is liable to you for his unpaid portion and you can attempt to collect against him in small claims court if you wish.