Skip to main content

Roommate has not paid rent for 2 months, what can we do to get the money owed?

Moreno Valley, CA |

We have a roommate that agreed to pay the amount that is owed but has not made any progress. She is not officially on the lease was paying rent at first. The roommate has lived rent free now for two months and owes more than 1100 dollars. What can we do to get our funds?

Attorney Answers 2


You should serve her with a 3 day notice to pay rent or quit, if she does not pay the amount within the 3 days file an Unlawful Detainer Action(Eviction) in court. Your 3 day notice to pay rent or quit needs to be perfect. Hopefully with the Unlawful Detainer action you can obtain a judgment for the back rent.

Mark as helpful


Since you are not the landlord, you cannot serve a 3-day notice nor institute an unlawful detainer action. Therefore, your only avenue is to sue her in small claims court based upon her oral agreement to pay rent (or written agreement if you have one).

For more information on how to file a small claims action, see the following website and its various links:

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics