Roof damage from poor roofing contractor

Asked about 2 years ago - Daytona Beach, FL

I had a roof put on about 7 years ago. After recent heavy rains, I noticed water damage from improper installation from the original job. Also, after reviewing the one page contract, the roofer did not remove the old shingles as charged and there are other items that were charged but not completed. I do not know if the contractor is still in business, but does hold a current license and lives locally. Do I have any recourse to at least have the roof fixed? I understand I was overcharged about $3000 for things that were not done but listed on the contract.

1. Ian Todd Kravitz

Best Answer

Answered . If these damages were truly latent (not knowable through reasonable and customary inspection) there may be a window to seek relief through suit. A complaint with the Department if Business and Professional Regulation is free, and may get some action, but they may avoid getting involved in a civil contract matter. Best to consult formally with construction counsel to see where you can go with this.

2. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

Answered . The statute of limitations on a contract is 5 years in Florida. Did you get any warranty from the roofer? You may need to see an attorney to find out if you can do anything.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239