Rodent abatement

Asked about 7 years ago - Washington

My apartment in NY city has rats. Are rats the landlord's responsibility?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Robert Roth

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . A more practical question might be "how can I get rid of the rats?"

    Report the condition to the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene either by calling 311 or using the link below.

    After they investigate, they will give you more information.

  2. David L. Carrier


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Landlords generally have a duty to provide safe and habitable residential housing. Depending on the severity of the rat problem, it's possible that you have been "constructively evicted" and need not pay rent to the landlord, but escrow it, pending extermination of the rodents.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,993 answers this week

2,732 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,993 answers this week

2,732 attorneys answering