Skip to main content

Risks associated with LPR's sponsoring of a spouse - LPR with abandonment of status issues.

Pasadena, CA |

The situation is this. The LPR has been in school for 7 years (undergrad and professional school for 3) abroad. Because of the US job market could not land a job and so worked in the country of origin for about a year. Came back to the US and was given trouble about the green card but was allowed in (LPR shared the above facts with officers). They urged LPR to apply for re-entry permit, which they did. LPR is now in the US and working. LPR has a spouse and wants to sponsor - will this be an issue on the G-325A form (must disclose past 5 years)? Can the application be denied and the LPR himself suffer from removal proceedings?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    An Immigration attorney would have to evaluate his/her case thoroughly. Re-entry permit is normally given BEFORE the person leaves the country, not after. Was his/her case referred to an Immigration Judge? How long ago has it happened? For how long has he/she been back in the US? These and other questions will have to be answered so an attorney can assess the options available.

    [This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]

  2. I agree with Attorney Hottle. It should not be a problem since you have returned and been working here, but you should nevertheless consult an immigration lawyer.

    Good luck to you.

    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

  3. As long as you continue to maintain your residency, you are unlikely to face issues with USCIS.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics