Rights of an unmarried father?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Springfield, MA

My brother has a daughter with a woman who he was engaged to. They broke up and she moved in with her Mother in Massachussetts. My niece lives with her and her family. She is telling my brother that he cannot take him daughter overnight and that he has no rights to see her. She also claims that he can see my niece when she lets him. What rights does he have as the father even though they were not married?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Gabriel Cheong

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . He has right to visit but what he really needs is a custody/visitation/support order from the family court. Right now, since they're unmarried, she has sole custody. However, he can petition the court for access to his child.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,751 answers this week

3,307 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,751 answers this week

3,307 attorneys answering