Right to speak to an attorney during FST?

Gilbert, AZ |

I was given FSTs on a traffic stop for over an hour, same tests 5 or 6 times. On about the 3rd round, I realized he was going to keep doing them till I screwed something up. I told him I wanted to call my attorney and needed my cell phone (it was in the car). He told me I have to give a blood sample and can call afterwards from the station. I wasn't allowed to call ANYONE until after they jammed me with needles and I was officially released. When do I have a right to speak to an attorney? When he put me in the car to go to the police station, he read me my rights, which includes speaking with attorney, but how can I do that with no phone in cuffs?
Do I have grounds for a motion because I was denied council? Thanks

Generally, you have the right to speak to an attorney after the booking process. The USSC has said that you have the right to an attorney at every critical stage, and the booking process is procedural and not critical, so anything after that seems to be the trigger. The most recent case law from the USSC say that even silence can now be used against you prior to being read your rights. Miranda rights are slowly being erroded into nothing.
The FST are not admissable in court, at least at the time of this post. The blood test is however. Hire the best criminal defense attorney you and/or your family can afford in AZ and try to beat this charge.

Attorney Stacy E. Pepper is licensed in all State and Federal Courts in Mississippi. He is a founding Partner in the law firm of Pepper & Odom, P.C. Nothing posted here constitutes any attorney client relationship and is meant for educational purposes only. Office hours are 8:00 a.m till 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Phone: 601-914-9219 Facsimile: 888-456-2160 www.pepperodom.com

Cindy Castillo

Cindy Castillo

If your charge arises in the State of Arizona, note that field sobriety tests are admissible in Arizona with the exception of the hand held breathalyzer.

He lied thru his teeth about the FSTs. He gave me each one 5 or 6 times for over an hour. Then at 3am, after getting the blood, he did them all again at the station. He didn't mention any repeat tests on the report and claims I failed them all. I was sober, and didn't fail any of them on the street, which is why he kept doing them. Most likely that's why he did it again at 3am, because he needed me to screw up. By then I was so tired, I figured it didn't really matter at that point and probably did screw up. I could barely see at that point, was dying of thirst and would have done anything to get the hell out of there. He is evil and I had two people with me to testify on everything I say. But they are both 15, so I hope they allow them to testify.

Can they testify at the preliminary hearing? I think that's what is next after arraignment? When they just need probable cause, which they will get if they just listen to his side of it.

I am looking at 3 years for going to pick up my kid, which I do every day, 365 days a year, sober. Tired, but totally sober. It's sick.

Stacy E Pepper

Stacy E Pepper

Here in Mississippi FST are not admissable because of just what you stated, the officer does not know what you can complete a test normally - assuming they have never seen you before. Officers 'lie' or leave out relevant parts of in their reports - nothing new about that and we expect that every time. I suggest you contact attorney Castillo or one of the other fine AZ DUI attorney here to help you immediately. This type of thing happens all to often and I wish you the best of luck in beating this charge.

Stacy E Pepper

Stacy E Pepper

Just to clarify, I am referring to the portable breathalyzer test.

Your right to counsel and your right to not to incriminate yourself are guaranteed in the Constitution. However, these rights have generally not been applied to the FSTs. These tests have been declared not testimonial, and therefore are outside of the limitations of Miranda. Many attorneys consider that to be a legal fiction, but that's the law. Contact an attorney immediately to review your facts and any defenses you may have.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

As long as your request to speak with an attorney does not affect the officer's investigation when your request is made, the law requires that before you submit to a blood, breath or urine test, you be given a right to speak with an attorney. Officers may have violated your rights to gather evidence on your behalf depending on when you were finally released. Also, you may have an issue of coerced testing/unlawful detention under the circumstances as you have described. You need to speak with an attorney immediately.

Speak with a lawyer in your area. There might be a number of legal issues in your case.

That's what I am trying to do here by asking the question. I live in gilbert, so can I contact you? Thanks

Steven W Zachary

Steven W Zachary

Call my office and set up an appointment. We provide a brief free consultation. 480.389.3533

Based on the unique circumstances of a DUI investigation, you do have the right to request an Attorney when an officer is in the midst of their DUI investigation as long as providing you counsel wouldn't unreasonably delay the investigation.(The police do not determine "unreasonable delay," the Court does) If the officer has violated your right to counsel and you requested counsel prior to the blood draw, then that could be grounds for suppressing the blood evidence obtained. You should speak with an Attorney to discuss your case in more detail and determine whether or not to seek suppression.

Answers on Avvo are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice; specific answers require knowledge of all the facts. You should consult with an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advice upon which you can reasonably rely.

You should contact an attorney in your area that focuses on DUI defense. It sounds like you have several issues that may impact your case.