Reverse mortgage legal question

New York, NY |
Filed under: Real estate

Can my spouse get a reverse mortgage on property that we own jointly without my signature/consent?

1. No.

This is AVVO, a place for users to obtain general legal information to general legal questions. I am glad to help you in any way I can, within those limits. I wish to make clear I am only communicating with you for the sole purpose of exchanging such general information, and nothing more. It is not legal advice, which I can not provide because among other reasons I know few of the necessary details of your situation. I do not purport to represent you in any way, shape or form. Of course, if you would like to seek out my services, and if you are a NY resident, I will probably not put up very much resistance but representation would still necessitate a signed retainer agreement between yourself and I. Thank you.

2. I doubt anyone would lend unless all the owners sign.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. The most your spouse could mortgage would be their interest in the property; because, presumably (depends on the wording of the deed) you would have a right of survivorship, it is unlikely anyone would give your spouse a reverse mortgage.

My answer to your question is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship,