Skip to main content

Reverse adoption as an adult

Keokuk, IA |
Filed under: Birth certificate

Is it possible to reverse my adoption? My step-father adopted me when I was 2. I am now 27. We haven't spoken in over 5 years, I am very close to my birth father. Can I reverse the adoption and have my birth father listed on my birth certificate?

Attorney Answers 1


I suspect you can do it. In Georgia, it does require a court petition, but all you have to file is your signed statement that you want your birth father as your legal father. Since the law takes parenthood seriously and doesn't change it lightly, it probably requires a court action in Iowa too, but it ought to be feasible.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Birth certificate topics

Recommended articles about Birth certificate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics