Return engagement ring?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

My daughter received an engagement ring and was told it was her Christmas gift. Fiancee did not buy her anything else for Christmas. They have since split up (his doing) and he wants the ring back. Is she legally required to return the ring in the State of Illinois?

1. Wes Cowell

3

Answered . Yes. It's not a "Christmas Ring;" it's an engagement ring. In Illinois, engagement rings must ALWAYS be returned when the wedding is called off.

2. Judy A. Goldstein

3

Answered . An engagement ring is given as a gift in contemplation of marriage. If the marriage does not take place, the ring should be returned. There is a lot of case law about this, but most of the controversy has to do with return of the ring after the marriage took place.

3. Stephen Samuel Messutta

Answered . I agree w/ the others. Notwithstanding the timing of the gift, an engagement gift is typically in contemplation of marriage and if she broke off the engagement, she is bound to return the gift.