Retribution from estate for care provided for deceased companion

Sacramento, CA |
Filed under: Estate planning Probate

My companion had terminal cancer and lived with me. I took care of him in every way until the day he died. His family did not help when I asked for help. When I asked for in home care for nights so I could get some rest, it was refused. They also refused to send him to a nursing care facility. My companion had a cancer policy that the executive promised his father as well as to me that I would receive it when the insurance claim was paid for all the care that I provided to my companion. That claim will be paid to the estate so I don't think I will ever see a dime, but can I at least be awarded what in home assistance care would have charged for service if the executive had hired them to come into my home to help me at night?

He was my companion for 16 years & I am a woman & i worked for him 14 years. My companion had a will & revocable trust. I was not named as a beneficiary on the cancer policy. I was understanding that the trust or will would not go to probate or be contested.

You state that your campanion died but you haven't stated if you are a relative. The only way you could establish a claim would be through a creditor claim and the estate would have to be probated. Absent an agreement, a creditor claim would be difficult to prove. You need to speak to a probate attorney as you might be able to file a petition to probate your companion's estate.

My condolences.

You need to meet with a probate attorney and discuss your facts and what claim you would have against the estate, you need to file a creditor's claim within the one year statute of limitations.

I apologize, but I need to inquire into a personal matter. Were you a same sex couple? If so, were you registered domestic partners?

Did your companion make any promises of support?

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. While I am licensed to practice in New York and California, I do not actively practice in New York. Regardless, nothing said should be deemed an opinion of law of any state. All readers need to do their own research or pay an attorney for a legal opinion if one is necessary or desired.

You are in a very difficult, but not uncommon situation. It would be helpful if you have some evidence of the agreement that the policy would go to you, preferably something in writing. Absent that your only option is to file a creditor's claim against your companion's estate provided probate will be opened. I am sorry for your situation and wish you the best of luck.

Once an estate has been opened, you need to file a creditors claim. If the claim is accepted, that is all you need to do. If the claim is not timely accepted, i.e., within 30 days, you need to file a lawsuit against the estate.

There are other deadlines. This pamphlet from the LA County Superior Court may be helpful:‎

I would advise consulting with an attorney and having an attorney prepare the creditor's claim for you.

-- Michael

Michael R. Daymude, Attorney at Law
Sherman Oaks Galleria – Comerica Bank Building
15303 Ventura Boulevard, Suite 900
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403-3199
(818) 971-9409

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. My answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates