Retaining Personal Injury Counsel

Asked about 5 years ago - Denver, CO

I recently terminated my lawyer due to complete lack of communciation and am searching for a new one. An Order has been entered by the Court granting his withdrawal. I have met/contacted many other attorneys but continue to be declined representation. I feel like I'm somewhat at a lose and am not sure how to proceed from here. Please advise if you know of any law firms or other resources (besides the Bar referral) that I can use.

Thank you so much for your time.

1. Andrew Daniel Myers

1

1

Answered . I hate it when people answer a question WITH a question.

However, why did you terminate the attorney? I have had clients terminate me after I gave them some very hard truths about their cases. Communication requires not just talking but listening on both sides. In the few cases in which I have been terminated in my 20 years in practicing law, I did not feel as though I had lost much. That is why you are having a hard time finding a new lawyer. Lawyers are reluctant to take someone on who has terminated the previous attorney.

Having said that, do some research and find an attorney and/or law firm with a very good reputation in cases similar to yours. For example, medical malpractice attorneys may not be the best for a car accident. Good divorce attorneys may not be the best for a wrongful termination case.

Initial consultations in the personal injury area are nearly always free. Ask the lawyer what experience they have in cases similar to yours. Has s/he taken them to trial? Has s/he settled them? In what general dollar amount range? (No 2 cases are alike and so do not expect a precise answer but listen to the factors that are discussed.)

I am not in your jurisdiction, and so maybe I can answer this question best. I have nothing to gain or lose.

But, I know that there are some outstanding trial attorneys in the Denver area. Give them a chance. Do not assume that your case is a gift to the attorney. Assume that the attorney will need to do a very great deal of work to refine and pursue your case, especially as "number two" on your case.

I am not certain why you reject the "Bar referral." Again, I am not familiar with the referral folks in your state. However, some of the best cases I have handled in my career were referred to me by county bar associations and/or through other attorney associations in which I have been priveleged to have been a member. The reason is that the referral associations know which attorneys are best in what particular areas and they can generally have a better approach at matching attorneys with certain "skill sets" with clients with specific types of cases. They would not refer a case to me if I had never handled a similar matter before. But, they know the types of cases that I have handled with success and so when those matters cross their desk, my card and phone number, hopefully anyhow, come to the top.

I wish you the best of luck.

2. Patrick St George Cousins

Pro

Answered . You can use Avvo.com and you can go to Martindale.com. Look for attorneys who focus their practice in the area of personal injury with high ratings such as 10.0 or AV. I wish you the best.