Retainer Agreement

Asked 8 months ago - San Francisco, CA

I just signed a retainer agreement yesterday, is there a grace period to cancel or am I bound? Unfortunately, I signed feeling a bit rushed and pressured but now having second thoughts.

1. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

4

Answered . You can fire your attorney at any time. You will likely owe for any work performed prior to disengagement and any subsequent work required to disengage. For example, it might cost the attorney several thousand dollars to disengage if the attorney is attorney of record in some court case and the counterparty does not want to dismiss and the judge does not want to allow the attorney to withdraw. (Judges are reluctant to let an attorney, particularly a defense attorney, out of a case and leave some client pro se with all the inevitable hassle that presents for the court.)

2. Robin Mashal

2

Answered . Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

Generally, there are no "grace periods" or "cooling off periods" for attorney-client retainer agreements. You should read your agreement and see if one was provided in your matter. If the attorney has not yet performed the services under the agreement, you may be entitled to a refund (or partial refund) of your retainer deposit.

3. Michael Charles Doland

1

Answered . Just advise your attorney to cease work. You are entitled to a refund of the unearned portion of any retainer fee deposited.