Retainer Agreement

San Jose, CA |

I just signed a retainer agreement. I realized that my legal name is not on it and I purposely used other signature. Am I still bound by it? Also, this retainer agreement has two other individuals, of which only one has signed. And I did not receive a copy of it with attorney's signature immediately.

1. Call your attorney and tell him exactly what you have posted here and ask that attorney your questions. You, and this attorney, are not a good fit.

My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon.<br> <br> Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. <br> <br> I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us.<br> <br> The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential. I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo because I have answered or commented on a question. Specifically, I assume no duty to respond to any question, comment, telephone call, or email because of my participation.<br> <br> All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult an attorney licensed in the appropriate jurisdiction for advice and counsel. See, also, Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.<br>

2. Your post suggests that you entered into an agreement without intending to be bound by it. That's an untenable strategy that cannot deliver any benefits to you, most especially in the subject matter of legal representation. If you follow Mr. Daymude's advice -- as you should -- the lawyer will most likely cut you loose. Most attorneys would choose to spend their time and energy and reputations working for and with clients who are grateful and un-conflicted about the need and value of the legal services. Trying to have it both ways is generally a sign of a client who is just a problem waiting to happen.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

3. I agree with Ms. McCall and Mr. Daymude. I would also add that if you do not want to be represented any more by this attorney you can fire him, if the attorney doesn't terminate representation first.

4. You purposely used another signature and put someone to work without an intention to pay them?

First you have an attorney. Tell them the truth and in about one minute the lawyer will resign.

Second, make sure you tell this story to every attorney you interview: Print out your facts above and give it to any of the 150,000 practicing attorneys you may interview in California.

Third: considerer going to law school. Even lawyers who need the work don't want to work with a client who does what you describe above.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.