Retainer Agreement

Asked 8 months ago - San Jose, CA

I just signed a retainer agreement. I realized that my legal name is not on it and I purposely used other signature. Am I still bound by it? Also, this retainer agreement has two other individuals, of which only one has signed. And I did not receive a copy of it with attorney's signature immediately.

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

4

Answered . Call your attorney and tell him exactly what you have posted here and ask that attorney your questions. You, and this attorney, are not a good fit.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

4

Answered . Your post suggests that you entered into an agreement without intending to be bound by it. That's an untenable strategy that cannot deliver any benefits to you, most especially in the subject matter of legal representation. If you follow Mr. Daymude's advice -- as you should -- the lawyer will most likely cut you loose. Most attorneys would choose to spend their time and energy and reputations working for and with clients who are grateful and un-conflicted about the need and value of the legal services. Trying to have it both ways is generally a sign of a client who is just a problem waiting to happen.

3. Michael Charles Doland

4

Answered . You purposely used another signature and put someone to work without an intention to pay them?

First you have an attorney. Tell them the truth and in about one minute the lawyer will resign.

Second, make sure you tell this story to every attorney you interview: Print out your facts above and give it to any of the 150,000 practicing attorneys you may interview in California.

Third: considerer going to law school. Even lawyers who need the work don't want to work with a client who does what you describe above.

4. Jonathan R. Miller

3

Answered . I agree with Ms. McCall and Mr. Daymude. I would also add that if you do not want to be represented any more by this attorney you can fire him, if the attorney doesn't terminate representation first.