Retained and paid an attorney in 2011 to handle estates of my parents. Work was not complete and attorney has passed away.

Asked 10 months ago - Gastonia, NC

Attorney did not respond to calls and e-mails (except a couple of e-mails to say he had family issues and would have something for us "at a date in the near future". I filed a Fee Dispute in 2013 with the NC State Bar to which he did not respond and a subsequent Grievance was filed. He finally responded after I filed a complaint with the BBB and opened the estates in October 2013, days before he suffered a stroke. He passed away in December 2013. The State Bar's Disciplinary Hearing Commission had the attorney scheduled for a hearing when he passed away. Now I am being told to pick up my file and retain another attorney. I've already paid this attorney over $5,000 and am not in a financial position to hire another one. Do I have any options?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Kenneth Love Jr.

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Speak to the Bar about the client fund. It is a fund for clients who are left in a bad situation by their attorney and can assist in fixing the damage.

  2. Gary Ralph Ilmanen

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . As Mr. Love has suggested, the NC State Bar will have information on filing a claim against the Client Security Fund. They also may know who took over the attorney's practice. Good luck to you!

    I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,290 answers this week

2,902 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,290 answers this week

2,902 attorneys answering