Retail Bed Mattress Scam. "reworked receipt".

Asked over 1 year ago - Joplin, MO

I recently purchased a bed mattress for $2000. It was a king sized mattress. I paid the salesman in full and signed the contract for the bed. I left the store, and within five minutes, I got a call telling me I was given the wrong "price", and I needed to come in so that the salesman could "fix" it. I came in and the salesman wanted to void my old contract/receipt, and give me a queen size bed, of the same brand for the exact same price. He marked "void" on the original King sized bed receipt, and had me take a new one he had retyped. He never gave me a refund he just "retyped" the old receipt, and had me sign a warranty agreement. I received the product like i was sold, but I feel I have been scammed, due to the sales man used a high-pressure, guilt trip tactic on me. Alot of shadyness.

1. Kerry Blasingim

Answered . So, you were sold one mattress, then asked to return and sign a receipt for a smaller mattress for the same price and with a warranty agreement? Do you still have the voided receipt? Can you show what the price was, as advertised, for the king mattress? For the queen mattress?

There are a ton of questions going on here; it's possible that, yes, you have some recourse if the store refused to honor a signed contract - but you agreed to a modification, so that ship has probably sailed. It is unlikely, since you signed off on the changes, that you're going to be able to do anything. You also could have refused delivery of the mattress you didn't want, which would have entitled you to a refund, at least. But, you accepted it and that ship, too, has sailed. You could speak to a local attorney and bring in all of the paperwork, but the sad truth is that you have probably waited too long to do anything except try to work out a return with the store.

2. Pamela Koslyn

1

Answered . I don't see how a queen size mattress is equivalent to a bigger king sized one.

Maybe I don't understand your query, and maybe you did get the king sized bed you wanted. Anyway, as long as you got the bed you wanted with the warranty you wanted, I don't think what's on the receipt matters to you.