Skip to main content

Restructuring from a partnership to a single - owner LL

Eugene, OR |

My husband and I have a business and have filed a 1065 for some time . We'd like to restructure the business so I am the sole owner ( LLC ) and I employ my husband ( we meet the criteria for my husband to be an employee ) . My question is how my husband's basis in the business is treated during this switch . Do I simply create an LLC for the business with myself as the owner ? Do I file a final 1065 for the two or three months of 2013 that we remained a partnership ? Does the IRS need any other documentation regarding the transfer of basis between spouses ? Thanks in advance for any help .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


What you are describing is a dissolution (under state law) and liquidation (under Federal tax law) of the partnerhip, and the formation of a new entity - an LLC. Perhaps under the laws of your state or of some other state you can preserve the state corporate I.D. number of the entity and use it for the new LLC. However, I do not know why that is important unless you have some state license or contracts under the corporate ID number. Your husband's basis is applied against the liquidating distribution of the partnership. Yes you will file a final 1065 for the partnership. The IRS doesn't need any particular information for the transfer between the two of you.


You'll need to select from among the available LLC forming jurisdictions. You'll need to qualify with that jurisdiction's statutes regarding formation. If that state allows partnership conversion you can comply with those provisions. An advantage of a conversion and then subsequent transfer is that partnerships have to have two partners or they are terminated. In contrast LLCs in some states are allowed to be single member entities. Compliance with the tax codes can be researched on the IRS web site. They issue quite a lot of material for do those that like self sufficiency. If you want someone to do more for you, you should consult a tax attorney.

If you find an answer helpful please mark it as such or as the Best Answer. You have asked us to state an opinion based upon stated facts. You have not provided us with any documents, pictures, witness statements or other admissible evidence. The opinions stated are based upon general principles of law unless otherwise stated, which may or may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Controlling law is also subject to change or reversal at any time. Any such changes may be retroactive and could significantly modify the statements and opinions expressed herein. Similarly, any change in the facts and assumptions upon which this opinion is based could modify the conclusions. We opine only as to matters expressly set forth, no opinions should be inferred as to other matters or to treatment of matters not specifically addressed. This opinion represents our best judgment as to the probable outcome of the issues discussed and is not binding on the courts or upon your adversaries. We can give no assurance that an adversary would not challenge our conclusions and prevail in the courts in a manner to cause adverse consequences. With respect to some of the matters discussed in the opinion, existing legal precedent may provide very little legal guidance. Although the opinions and views expressed are based on our best interpretations of existing law and what we believe a court would probably conclude if presented with the applicable issues, we can give no assurance that our interpretations would be followed if the issues became the subject of judicial or administrative proceedings. Realization of certain benefits described is subject to the risk that someone may challenge the treatment and that a court may sustain the challenge. Because you may bear the burden of proof required to establish a fact, the opinions expressed assume the you will undertake the effort and expense to present fully the case in support of any matter that you have asserted and an opponent might challenge. None of the advice provided here may be used to avoid tax liability, interest or penalties. If you want that level of assurance you will need to allow us to perform the full opportunity to explore the facts and law applicable to your specific circumstances. I provide answers here to allow people to see the style of communication and type of analysis applied to factual statements.



Yes, I want self-sufficiency but mostly, I'd like someone to use common verbiage to explain things... "An advantage of a conversion and then subsequent transfer is that partnerships have to have two partners or they are terminated." What does that mean?? Conversion of what to what exactly? And what does terminated mean? Most unhelpful post...even the website makes more sense and that's saying something.


You appear to be a very knowledgeable lay person, but I would suggest you get some tax advice from a CPA or tax attorney based on the specifics of your situation.

This comment is general in nature and is not intended as legal advice. It does not create an attorney client relationship and obviously is not confidential. You should contact an attorney in your area who can review with you all of the relevant facts and give you specific legal advice.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer