Skip to main content

Restraining order in Washington state

Renton, WA |

How do a get a restraining order against someone who has made threatened he is going to kill me through a third party. He has assulted me in the past but I refused to press charges.

Attorney Answers 3


Go down to the courthouse in Kent (the Maleng Regional Justice Center) find the DV advocate's office, tell them what is going on. They can advise you whether you need a DV order or an Anti-Harassment order. It depends on the relationship you had with the person who threatened you. Ex husband? That's DV. Neighbor? That's anti-harassment. There are questions for you to answer on the petition to help you get it right.

They'll help you. No charge. Hope this helps. Elizabeth Powell

Using Avvo does not form an attorney client relationship.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


First, I would try calling the police. And yes, I would insist they write a report. Once the report is filed, if the prosecutor files a charge then the Judge will almost certainly issue a No Contact Order prohibiting contact with you. Second, you contact the courthouse near you. Most have online services that guide you through filing for a protection order. The most difficult part after getting the case filed is getting the respondent personally served. You'll likely want to hire an attorney to make this whole process go more smoothly.
At your service,

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I would only add that you should also contact a domestic violence advocate in your area who can talk to you about safety planning and other things you might want to consider in addition to an order.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics