Skip to main content

Restitution if I am in Mental Health Court and Disabled?

Seattle, WA |

I have been referred to Mental Health Court in King County (Seattle), WA for 3 non-violent misdemeanors stemming from one incident last year. I am unemployed due to my mental health and receive Aged, Blind, Disabled money from DSHS. In regards to restitution (my crimes amounted to about 15k in damages of property) are any special considerations given to those in Mental Health Court or those that are disabled and unemployed? Thanks for your time!!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Unfortunately the court that sentenced you will require you to pay the full amount of restitution regardless of your mental health situation. If you fail to make timely payments, the court will convert the restitution order into a civil judgment against you and seek to attach your assets. It's unlikely however that the court would be able to garnish any funds you might receive from the government as a result of your disability - for example, SSDI payments should be safe from garnishment.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer