Asked almost 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

i am federal employee and live in California. my daughter and her husband, my son-in-law live with me in my house. my son-in-law wants to open a marijuana dispensary in some rented out place. As soon as I found about this, i tried to change my son-in-law mind to open the "dangerous" business, escpecially me being with Federal government. My daughter does not want to listen saying that nothing will happens as I will not be part of that business. Please someone explain to my daughter that I do have obligations before the Government and cannot have that happened as we all live under the same roof. She is fighting with me saying that I need to be more supportive. Help me please to explain to her how dangerous for me to live together with my son-in-law who runs that kind of business

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I agree with you that your job is at risk if anyone in your household operates a marijuana dispensary. I am an employment law attorney in San Diego and I frequently represent federal employees in their employment problems. Federal agencies generally have an extremely broad "no tolerance" policy and really don't care what reasons a person has for violating federal drug laws.

    Regardless of California law, it is still a crime under federal law to sell marijuana. The Obama administration has been vigilant in enforcing this law (despite his campaign promises to the contrary) and as a result, all the dispensaries in San Diego have now closed, other than the few that provide a delivery service.

    Chances are there will be some dispensary-related materials in the house . . . even traces. Not to raise anyone's fears irrationally, but you could be charged and even convicted of a crime. While it is possible federal law enforcement will eventually figure out that your son-in-law is responsible, it is possible it may not. Even if it does, in the interim you will be out many thousands of dollars and perhaps out of work.

    It is your home and your job. Your future, including your retirement, are potentially at stake. Most of us take calculated risks based on the likelihood of future problems and the penalties if we get caught. This one is really risky for you. Don't let your son-in-law live in your home if this is what he is doing. I'm sure this is very hard for you as it involves your daughter, but prisons are full of people who say they "didn't do it."

    By the way, I am someone who fully supports the legalization of marijuana.

    *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your... more
  2. Neil Pedersen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Being supportive is one thing, risking your job is another thing altogether. If they did not live with you I believe the risk would be lessened. Perhaps you can be supportive by helping them move.

    Good luck to you.

    This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed... more
  3. David Philip Shapiro


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In the words of Jack Byrnes: "It's my way, or the Long Island Expressway."

    Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555
  4. Robert David Richman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This question was posted under federal crime. If your fear is that you will be prosecuted because you live with your son in law, as long as you don't assist in his business in any way, you are not at risk. If he robs a bank it has nothing to do with you or your job. This is no different.

    This answer is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended as the practice of law in any... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,978 answers this week

3,122 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,978 answers this week

3,122 attorneys answering