Skip to main content

Responsibilities of custodial parent, TO the non-custodial parent...

Pensacola, FL |

My son lives with his father. I pay child support to him. I can't find anywhere the obligations and responsibilities of the custodial parent to the non-custodial parent having to do with things such as: not telling me when the child gets in trouble at school, not asking or informing me of plans to take child out of school for a 'vacation'....and things of that nature. I feel that as the non-custodial parent, the father SHOULD inform me of these things and 'ask' if I agree to taking him out of school for a vacation, etc. Is there anywhere laws written to protect me and force the father to uphold 'his' responsibilities and obligations to me'??

Attorney Answers 1


“Shared parental responsibility,” which is the norm in the vast majority of custody cases, means a court-ordered relationship in which both parents retain full parental rights and responsibilities with respect to their child and in which both parents confer with each other so that major decisions affecting the welfare of the child will be determined jointly. While it sounds as though the father in your case is not following "shared parental responsibility," you should determine whether it was ordered by the court in your case. Look to the original custody decree to find that out. If the father is violating court-ordered shared parental responsibility, then you have the ability to go to court and have this addressed.

If you decide you want to do so, I suggest you speak to an attorney in your area who has experience in family law. That attorney would be best able to address the specific circumstances in your case and to explain the options you have. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics