Skip to main content

Responsibilities of an Attorney in Uncontested Divorce ?

Houston, TX |

What are the responsibilities of an Attorney in divorce ? When does he send the first documents ?
I have an uncontested divorce case without children. I found an attorney through avvo. I made my payment about 20 days ago. The case should be filed in a few days right ? After 1 week I got an email from another attorney from the same company sent me a file that says original petition but there is no court number on it. She just wrote it and sent me. I asked her when will I receive waiver for my spouse signature, she told me it take 2-3 weeks. 2 weeks passed and I sent email if she filed the . She is still telling me 2-3 weeks. I checked county family court records for divorce and I couldn't find my name. What should I do ? Thanks

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Harris county keeps the cases confidential for 30 days. You would not be able to find it online. The attorney sent you the documents without the case number, because when you efile it, the case number does not issue for several days. It does not sound like the attorney has done anything wrong. Perhaps they promised you documents faster than you are going to receive them, but you cannot go to court until 60 days have passed based on the prove up statute.

  2. Either trust this firm or hire a new lawyer. You can get unearned fees back.

    This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.

  3. I agree with Mr. Busby. Because the you live in Harris County, the divorce will not appear online until the earlier of (1) the expiraion of 30 days or (2) the Respondent files an answer. And, the earliest date a divorce can be granted is 60 days after filing.
    If you are concerned, then schedule an appointment to meet with the lawyer. Afterwards, if you are still concerned, hire a new lawyer.
    Good luck!

    Any communication through the AVVO site with Sherrie Travers or any individual member of the firm, Travers & Travers, does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. Any information given by Sherrie Travers or by any individual member of the firm through the AVVO site is general information and should not be relied on as legal advice. This answer is based upon limited information and is not intended to be conclusive in your circumstances as there may be other factors that might change or alter the advice given herein. Confidential or time-sensitive information should be conducted in person with an attorney.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics