Response time after a plenary hearing?

Asked about 1 year ago - Freehold, NJ

Family court plenary hearing was middle of July, and although the judge said he wanted this finished quickly (within 2 weeks), still no response. This hearing was to determine percentage costs for college.

1. Aneliya M. Angelova

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . Call the judge's law clerk and ask if a decision has been made. Some judges issue written opinions as opposed to oral decisions on the record, so that may be one reason for the wait.

609-271-3573. This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.
  2. Rajeh A Saadeh

Pro

2

1

Answered . The court's goal is to have plenary hearings completed, from the time that the initial pleading/motion is filed until the final order is entered, within six months. After six months, the plenary case goes into backlog, which is a mark against the judge and county in the eyes of the state court administration.
    Notwithstanding, it is not uncommon for Family Part cases to fall into backlog in certain counties in New Jersey due to the volume of cases compared to the number of judges. Middlesex County has approximately ten Family Part judges and no or close to no backlog. Comparatively, Somerset, Hunterdon, and Warren Counties have approximately six or seven Family Part judges combined and has substantial backlog.
    If your child started college this month, it may be advisable to politely and tactfully advise the judge of that and ask that he/she render his/her decision as soon as possible to give you, the other parent, and most importantly, the child some finality and predictability as soon as possible.

Pro

1

1

Answered . Best to call judge's clerk to inquire about opinion

4. Stephen Ross Cohen

1

Answered . I agree with counsel