Residency continuity and Reentry Permit

Asked 8 months ago - Atlanta, GA

Hello everyone,

I am planning to leave the US for a period of 2 years after completing permanent residency of 28 months, for personal reasons.

To keep the continuous residency requirement for citizenship, I am planning to return in less than 6 months every time. In case I am not able to come back, I am also planning to get a reentry permit for 2 years.

The questions I have is, does an application for a re-entry permit (form I-131) stop the clock for citizenship, even if I do come back every less than 6 months?

Thanks in advance for your opinion and/or suggestion.
Muthanna

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

18

Answered . It doesn't stop the clock, but remember to qualify for naturalization, you must be a permanent resident for five years and you must be physically present in the U.S. for over 50% of the past 5 years.
    Please see

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . No, it does not stop the clock, the application per se, I mean.

3. Kenneth Craig Dobson

1

Answered . Getting a Reentry Permit does not stop the clock, but remember that physical presence is an issue for naturalization. I suggest that you speak with an immigration lawyer about maintaining your permanent residency as well as the specific requirements for naturalization.

4. Ichechi Nkesi Alikor

1

Answered . No. The re-entry permit does not stop the clock for citizenship rather, it helps to ensure that your green card/residency is not considered abandoned especially if you stay outside the U.S. for a period of 6 months or more on single trip.