Residence and USCIS jurisdiction in N-400 application

Asked over 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

I am meeting all eligibility requirements for naturalization but have a question about the 90-day residence in the same USCIS jurisdiction requirement. By moving from Northern CA to Southern CA, am I changing USCIS jurisdiction?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

Answered . Yes, you are. By "jurisdiction" not the state, but the actual USCIS district which is meant. For instance, the jurisdiction of the L.A. district office vs. that of the Sacramento district office. To be able to file in either one of the Los Angeles district and sub-district offices, you'll need to have previously resided there for at least 90 days prior to filing your N-400.

2. Jeffrey Adam Devore

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . I respectfully disagree with my colleague. The applicable regulation requires that you reside for at least three months in a "State" *or* "Service district" having jurisdiction over your residence. Thus, in a state with multiple USCIS districts, you can move from one district to another within the same state and still satisfy the residence requirement. Likewise, if a USCIS district covers more than one state (which many do) you can move to anywhere within that USCIS district and still qualify without having to wait another 90 days. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for advice on how to best proceed in your specific situation.

3. John Grayson Davidson

Pro

3

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Devore.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 |ICannHelpYouNow.com | John1Davidson@gmail.com